Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Pure Prairie Fatigue

Driving to Park City, Utah, February 21, 2011

After morning Yoga class in The Village at Squaw Valley (best stretching ever for an aging but active life) I headed back to Mountain House for some straightening, cleaning, organizing and leaving. I had to wait until 1:00 pm for Squaw to have some paperwork ready for me to sign so my notions of a 9:00 am start were quickly dashed. Finally at 1:15 pm I was on my way to Truckee to pick up I-80 East for my 9-hour trek to Park City. The GPS claimed 11 hours, but as my sister-in-law Sandy often does on cross-country drives, I made a game of beating the GPS! Well, it helps to pass the time anyway.
So off we went, the Eurovan and me. New tires, oil changed, two pair of skis and a snowboard in the Yakima box on the roof. Cooler of food from the fridge, Marmot sleeping bag and a few dress shirts for meetings and interviews. My life inside a few cubic feet of silver steel. 80 on 80. What could be better? 
Upon my announcement of my move to California this fall my brother Todd had given me an iPod Classic stuffed full of his music library, mostly classic rock from the 60’s & 70’s. With Reno 100 miles in the rear view mirror, I put on Neil Young’s ‘Harvest Moon.’ Certainly one of my all-time favorites, and at the same time very appropriate tunage for crossing high desert while to melting some miles. Great thinking music too. I invented two products and created three businesses in the next 250 miles to Elko. Plus there’s nothing quite like a long solo drive for self-therapy. After the last notes of Neil’s ‘Natural Beauty’ faded into the speakers I was in the mood for more folk-rock. A quick scan revealed Pure Prairie League’s ‘Bustin Out’ album. Wow! Blast from the past for sure. I had probably played this vinyl 200 times from high school through college. PPL took me to Bob Seger, and Bob drove me from Mackinaw City into Park City on the back of his Harley. 
I arrived at Sandy & Rob’s a bit after 11:00 pm. 

Score: Scott 1,  GPS 0 

1 comment:

  1. Something about being out on that long lonesome road and getting a lot of thinking done....Good...if not an odd way of a sort of cleansing the soul and way to reflect on a ton of things....And.....as you have related....a kind of mother of invention...or time presented as a crucible for ideas that we rarely find otherwise....Continued safe journeys all around....

    ReplyDelete