Monday, March 7, 2011

Sunday Valley Serenade

Snowboarding on Sunday, February 27, 2011

Sunday morning arrived and I had planned to explore Dollar Mountain on my Burton Method snowboard. I drove the 2 or so miles, parked right at the lodge and joined into the multigenerational swarms that were enjoying their Sunday morning on the slopes and around Carol’s Dollar Mountain Lodge. Dollar is the family mountain of the two that comprise Sun Valley. Oddly, Dollar Mountain is completely tree-less and was where the original ski trails were built in Sun Valley in the 30’s. Dollar is also adorned by a few SPT terrain parks, built by Chris Gunnarson of X-Games feature-building fame. I wish Parker were with me to truly evaluate the scene, but to my untrained eye, these parks appeared to have great flow and I noticed one of the features at the bottom had the ability to be lit from within for nighttime fun. On this morning it was clear, somewhat windy and quite cold, temperatures certainly below 10 degrees F. I took maybe 6 or 7 runs, explored the face and the flanks and then headed to Baldy (the treed mountain with little above treeline) to ride for the afternoon.  

Roundhouse Restaurant @ 1936
After a few long runs (and I mean lo-o-ong) on Baldy it was getting well past lunchtime, so I took the stairs up to the Roundhouse, the original on-mountain lodge at Sun Valley, and likely the original on-mountain lodge anywhere in that day. Built in 1936, the inside, much like the people, was rustic, yet well-preserved. The center fireplace is warm and inviting. There was an older gentleman dressed in lederhosen playing the accordion with snippets of tunes from the Sound of Music. Lunch is Bavarian style, specializing in fondue, racclette, with steak and salads adorning the menu choices. This was probably the first time I have 'dined' in snowboard boots. Quite nice, actually. I was as comfortable as my surrounds. It was nice to relax and watch the multi-generational families come in for some fun. Many were not skiers, but rather rode the gondola up from River Run base for a special treat at 8,200 feet overlooking all of Sun Valley's expanse below.

River Run Lodge
My late afternoon was spent on Baldy, riding the long (did I say long?) vertical runs up and down from the Warm Springs side. True to the name, there is a river or creek running through this base area fed by warm, sulphur springs that give off that eau de rotten eggs smell. To the uninitiated, I'm sure the septic systems for the condos around the base are suspect!

The late afternoon on the Warm Springs patio was delightful as the sun dropped below Baldy. A live band played some contemporary folk-rock tunes and families and couples gradually dissipated back to their hovels or their cars. Once the warm sun drops behind Baldy, it's a whole new feeling. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr. 

A late afternoon snack of Salmon at Warm Springs Lodge was just the ticket after a long day on the mountains of Sun Valley. On food, they do it right. Quite a special treat, very complete and satisfying for just $11. It made me wonder why more ski resorts don't offer this type of healthy fare.  I realize it helps to have an executive chef with  passion and desire to produce a plate like this, and it probably takes special preparation that most resorts are not equipped to handle, but this was quite a value, one I won't soon forget. See, I'm already telling others! 
Chilled Salmon fillet, dill sauce, green beans, grape tomatoes, fresh berries, hot cocoa - $11 
And as I was leaving, I ran into Picabo Street!
I headed to the original Sun Valley Lodge and the Opera House to catch the 4:30 showing of Sun Valley Serenade. Very timely and appropriate. Following the film, I headed to my room in the Lodge to catch up on this blog. While of very high quality, just like the fit and finish of Sun Valley's day lodges, the furnishings are a bit too formal to engage today’s traveler. Fine quality, but frumpy and austere, as if grandma decorated in her taste. Queen Anne, I dunno. Perhaps for a year-round resort such as Sun Valley, this is fine, but as a skier I had that feeling that I might accidentally break something. There was a flat screen 1080p mounted to the wall above a credenza that hosted a gaming station, coffee maker, safe, and some cabinets for personal belongings. While all very comfortable, I don’t think the thirtysomething family with small kids from Seattle or the Bay Area would be all too comfortable staying here. Their parents maybe… 
When you're ready to treat yourself, head for Sun Valley, Idaho. You won't be disappointed... I sure wasn't!

1 comment:

  1. Would love to give it a try! Our friends live close by and I think Hollie Hunter is in the real estate business - so if you decide to settle there let us know! Hope you and Mar are having fun.
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete